Star Valley Health is proud to announce that we have partnered with Heart Care Imaging to provide our community with Nuclear Medicine. Beginning in November 2020, this service will now be available in-house, rather than the on-site truck that we have used in the past. The benefit to this is more comfortable access to the imaging equipment and access to the equipment 24/7.
Nuclear Medicine is a highly specialized area of radiology. Using very small amounts of radioactive materials nuclear medicine allows for examination of organ function and structure. This branch of radiology is used to help diagnose and treat disease in the early stages, which often allows for better outcomes.
The radioactive substance (called a radionuclide or radioactive tracer), is absorbed into the body tissue and radiation is given off. By measuring the behavior of the tracers during a nuclear scan, the healthcare provider can assess and diagnose various conditions such as tumors, hematomas, infections, organ enlargement and function, and blood circulation. The amount of radioactive substance given to a patient during a procedure is miniscule.
- Nuclear stress test/Myocardial Perfusion Scan – used to view the blood flow through the coronary artery through the heart muscle to detect blockage.
- Bone Scan – typically used to detect infections or spread of cancer
- Hida Scan – used to view the function of the gall bladder, liver, bile ducts and small intestine.
- Lung (V/Q) Scan – used to view lung function to help diagnose certain lung problems such as clots, as well as to see the flow of blood or air through the lungs.
- Gastric Emptying – used to determine how quickly food leaves the stomach to detect blockages.
- Parathyroid Scan – used to determine the function and health of the parathyroid gland
- Thyroid Uptake and Scan – provides information about your thyroid’s size, shape, position and function
For more information about nuclear scans, please contact our Nuclear Medicine Department at 307-885-5083, or our Radiology department at 307-885-5822.