Due to a major push for improvements, Star Valley Health is very proud to announce that we have moved from a three star to a four star Medicare Critical Access Hospital!!! ¹ We have also moved from a two star to a four star Medicare Critical Access Hospital for Patient Satisfaction! ² Focusing hard on improving patient satisfaction, Star Valley Health’s staff on the hospital floor (Med/Surg), Operating Room, and Emergency Department achieved this goal and are now setting their sites on those 5 Star Ratings!
According to CMS (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services), the overall rating¹ is based on how well a hospital performs across different areas of quality, like treating heart attacks and pneumonia, readmission rates, and safety of care, while the patient survey rating² measures patient’s experiences of heir hospital care. Recently discharged patients were asked about important topics like how well nurses and doctors communicated, how responsive hospital staff were to their needs, and the cleanliness and quietness of the hospital environment.
Here are some of the highlights in the report:
- SVH is below the national average in readmission rates.
- SVH is above the national average in patient experience
- HCAHPS* :
- SVH patients who reported their doctors “always” communicated well. 7% higher than national average and 6% higher than Wyoming average
- SVH patients who reported their area around their room was “always” quiet at night, 5% higher than both National and Wyoming averages
- SVH patients who reported that YES, they were given information about what to do during their recovery time at home: 5% higher than both National and Wyoming Averages.
- SVH patients who gave their hospital a rating of 9 or 10 on a scale from 0 (lowest) to 10 (highest): 10% higher than Wyoming average and 8% higher than National average
- SVH patients who reported “yes” they would definitely recommend the hospital: 10% higher than Wyoming average and 8% higher than National average
*Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) survey, also known as the CAHPS Hospital Survey, was added to Hospital Compare. HCAHPS provides a standardized instrument and data collection methodology for measuring patient’s perspectives on hospital care.