Summertime in Wyoming is spent outdoors enjoying the wilderness, lakes, and mountains. And the sun shines down through it all. Despite information about continued sun exposure without protective sunblocks or clothing; many of us are at risk for sunburn and skin damage.
A Sunburn is easily diagnosed and treated with simple over the counter treatments, usually resolving in a few days. More serious sun exposure should be treated initially in the clinic or a hospital setting if dehydration or secondary skin damage is involved.
Be prepared for extended sun exposure:
- Use sunblock: UVA/UVB Broad Spectrum
- Use protective clothing: UPF 50 and UP
- Reapply sunblock after sweating and swimming
If you are sunburned you may experience:
- Skin that is hot to the touch
- Skin redness
- Rough skin texture
- Skin that is itchy and dry
How to treat your sun damaged skin:
- Cool shower
- Cold compresses
- Aloe vera gel
- If blisters form, cover and try to cover non-intact skin
- If your sunburn is severe please see a medical professional!
If you or a loved one has questions about sunburns or treatment options please call:
Afton Clinic: 307-885-5852 and Afton Urgent Care: 307-885-5700
Thayne Clinic: 307-883-5852
Alpine Clinic: 307-654-5852 and Alpine Urgent Care: 307-654-5700